What Happens if My Ex-Spouse is in Contempt of Court?

If you feel that your ex is intentionally violating a court order and need help with proceeding, we can help!

Going through a divorce is hard enough mentally and emotionally. But when your ex is failing to comply with the terms of your divorce ruling, it makes it all the more stressful and challenging.

If your ex-spouse has failed to comply with a court order, you can seek relief from the court by filing a motion to hold your ex in contempt. Therefore, if you feel that your ex is intentionally violating a court order and need help with proceeding, contact The Betz Law Firm.

What Does Being in Contempt of Court Mean?

A person can be held in contempt of court for many different reasons. Examples include refusing to turn over subpoenaed evidence, refusing to pay court-ordered child support, or improperly communicating with jurors outside the courtroom.

The term “contempt” refers to any offense where a person is disobedient to or disrespectful toward a court of law or interferes with its orderly process.

Holding another party in contempt is a powerful tool to help individuals hold their ex-spouse accountable for violating a court-ordered divorce ruling. A contempt of court is essentially an action taken when the other party violates the terms set out by the court.

Reasons Your Ex-Spouse May Be in Contempt

During or after a divorce, contempt occurs when one party isn’t abiding by the terms of the divorce decree. A motion for contempt of court can be filed any time after your ex violates the court order in question. Some of the most common reasons for holding a person in contempt include:

  • Failure to pay child support
  • Late child support payments
  • Failure to pay spousal support
  • Failure to comply with property division ruling
  • Violating child custody agreements

Keep in mind that if you file a motion for contempt, the burden of proof is on you. This means that you will have to prove that your ex is in violation of a court order. For this reason, it is essential to have legal representation from an experienced divorce attorney during this process.

At The Betz Law Firm, we will handle filing the motion, arranging to have the motion served to your ex-spouse, and will help you build a strong case that the violation occurred.

Speak With an Experienced Attorney

Our firm uses experience, good communication, and availability to help families navigate life-changing events.