If you want to legally change your name, you do not have to go through the process alone, nor do you have to figure out all of the legal technicalities without help.
There are many reasons why a person would choose to change their name. Some people need to change their last name for legal reasons; others want to change their first name for personal reasons. It is legal to change your name unless it’s for fraudulent or deceptive purposes.
If you live in Missouri and need or want to change your name, contact The Betz Law Firm. We are experienced name change lawyers in St. Louis. Our firm has handled every type of name change situation, from divorce to a minor child’s legal adoption.
Top Reasons People Change Their Name
Some of the most common reasons people decide to change their name include:
- Marriage – This is probably the most common reason someone decides to change their last name. They get married and want to take their husband’s surname. However, it’s not just the woman, some men want to take their wife’s surname.
- Changing child’s last name – A mother may wish to change her child’s last name if the father is no longer in the picture. On the flip side, if a formerly absent father comes back into the picture, they may want to change their child’s last name.
- Don’t like their birth name – Many people request a name change simply because they don’t like the name they were given at birth. They may prefer something more unique or less unique depending on the circumstances.
- Divorce – If a woman took her husband’s name at marriage, she might decide to return to her maiden name when she is divorced.
- Transgender or non-binary – Non-gender conforming individuals, such as transgender or non-binary, find that they wish to find a name that fits their identity.
- Religious reasons – Some people choose to change their name because of a recent religious conversion or to honor a person’s religious deity.
- Adoption – When a child is adopted by their step-father, for example, they may want to change their child’s surname.
The Name Change Process
Several requirements need to be completed before a person can petition to have their name changed. As part of the petition, specific requirements must be included to be considered.
Fortunately, you do not have to go through the process alone, nor do you have to figure out all of the legal technicalities without help. The Betz Law Firm is here to assist you with your petition to ensure there are no unforeseen hurdles during the process.
Speak With an Experienced Attorney
Our firm uses experience, good communication, and availability to help families get through life changing events.
Call (314) 801-8488