During a divorce, a parenting plan must be submitted and approved by a judge. We can help you develop the best plan for you and your children.
As a parent, you want what’s best for your children. Going through a divorce doesn’t change this. In fact, it likely makes you more resolved than ever. Therefore, how can you develop the best parenting plan for your children? Our St. Louis family law attorneys can help.
What is a Parenting Plan?
When a divorcing couple has children, a parenting plan must be submitted and approved by a judge. It sets forth how you and your ex will raise your children. The court prefers that the parents agree on the parenting plan themselves. However, if the parents cannot agree, the court will step in and set the terms.
What to Include in a Parenting Plan
At some point during your divorce, you and your children’s other parent must present a comprehensive parenting plan to the court. It needs to include specific details such as visitation schedules and co-parenting during the holidays. To prepare one, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with what should be outlined in your plan. Some of these things include the following:
- Parenting Schedule:
- How will your children divide time between both homes
- How you will handle necessary changes in the schedule
- How will you communicate these changes to your ex
- How kids will get to and from school
- Holidays and special events:
- How will holidays be divided
- How will summer vacation be split up
- How will you handle birthdays and other special dates
- Travel plans:
- How far in advance does a trip need to be planned
- How the kid’s travel expenses will be paid
- Is there anyone the kids can’t travel with
- Making important decisions on:
- Health care
- How will your kid’s living costs be covered
- Who will pay for special needs items
This list is certainly not exhaustive, but it gives you a good idea of what should be included and what needs to be detailed. When putting your parenting plan together, the most important thing to remember is your children’s well-being. Make sure you’re upholding their best interests and minimizing the impact of your divorce to the best of your abilities. This is something a judge will pay attention to as well.
St. Louis Family Law Attorneys
As family law attorneys, The Betz Law Firm is here to help you navigate the legal complexities of your divorce. This includes developing the best parenting plan for your children. Our firm uses experience, good communication, and availability to help families navigate life-changing events. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Speak With an Experienced Attorney
Our firm uses experience, good communication, and availability to help families get through life changing events.