St. Louis Divorce Lawyers

How Can I Legally Change My Name – Could My Name Change Be Denied?

Allow our team of professional name change attorneys to assist you with your petition to ensure that there are no unforeseen hurdles during the process.

There are many reasons why a person may want or need to change their name. If you are over 18 years old, you can petition for a name on your own. If you are a minor, the process is slightly different but still possible.

At The Betz Law Firm, we have handled every type of name change situation, from last name change after a divorce to a first name change for transgender and non-binary individuals. Our name change lawyer will help you overcome any hurdles and will likely help you avoid them altogether.

Petition for Name Change

Individuals 18 and older seeking to change their name may do so by filing a Petition for Change of Name. The petition must include important facts required by law for a name change to be granted. In general, the petition needs to describe who you are, where you live, why you’re seeking the change, and whether or not the petition is being made in good faith and without intent to defraud debt collectors or for criminal purposes.

When the name change is not due to getting married or divorced, the individual must submit the petition to the circuit court of the county they live in and follow the following steps:

  1. Notarize the petition
  2. Gather the required documentation
  3. File the petition with the circuit court
  4. Pay the filing fee
  5. Attend a possible hearing
  6. Publish the name change

Last Name Change After Divorce

It is relatively easy for you to change your last name after divorce. All you need to do is include your name change in your petition for divorce. Once the divorce is finalized, you can use the certified copy of your divorce decree as proof of your name change.

If you decide to change your last name back to your maiden name once the divorce is finalized, you can easily do so. You would have to fill out a petition, and then a court must grant the request.

Name Change as a Minor

A minor can request a name change in St. Louis, but the petition will not be granted without both parents’ consent. If consent is not filed, proof must be shown that the parent or parents were notified of the petition and hearing through certified or registered mail.

Can Your Request Be Denied?

In St. Louis, family law judges take name changes very seriously. They will not allow individuals to change their name to one that is not proper or detrimental to another party. They also reserve the right to ask for supporting evidence to the contrary if they feel that a name change is being requested in an attempt to defraud another person, avoid legal judgments or actions, or avoid having to repay a debt or other obligation.

Also, a 3rd party is allowed to object to a petition for a legal name change. If so, the court will be forced to explore the matter to ensure that the petition does not violate its guidelines.

St. Louis Name Change Lawyer

Changing your name is a multi-step process involving paperwork and court procedures. Allow our team of professional name change attorneys to assist you with your petition to ensure that there are no unforeseen hurdles during the process.

Speak With an Experienced Attorney

Our firm uses experience, good communication, and availability to help families navigate life-changing events.